Sunday, May 2, 2010

Liberation War of Bangladesh


Matiur at Bhairab was not at all in a happy situation. He had a difficult withdrawal from Panchdone and Narshingdi. The enemy had followed him closely behind. Though the Rampur railway bridge was demolished it would need only a few hours efforts to establish a bridge head at Rampur and about 8 hours for assault crossing. I had to send a reinforcement there without any delay. A draft of young, hurriedly trained civilian volunteers arrived at Brahmanbaria in the morning on April 13. I ordered them to be dispatched immediately to Bhairab Bazar. This draft of young boys was from among the first batch of trainees received from Teliapara. As they were about to leave for Bhairab they came under heavy enemy strafing near the railway station. In this sudden air strike sepoy Mohammad Mohsin of East Bengal Regiment and a trained volunteer got killed. It was definitely a demoralizing effect on my troops. I was there to see them off to Bhairab.
On this day I got a message from Colonel Osmany to attend a co-ordination conference to be held at Moulvi Bazar at 10 a.m. on April 14. I therefore, left my headquarter for Moulvi Bazar on the morning of 14 April.

No comments:

Post a Comment