Monday, April 26, 2010

Liberation War of Bangladesh


Habiganj had a rare combination of a lucky trio. MNA Mr. Manik Chowdhury, MNA Lieutenant Colonel Abdur Rabb (retired) and Major C.R. Dutta. They raised a resistance force with 200 Ansars. They were armed with rifles and 6000 rounds of 303 ammunition. Soon more ELPR troops joined them. At this stage I entered the scene with my troops. I then drew up a plan to capture Sylhet. The troops started moving towards their abjectives on 5 April.
After fighting a successful action at Sherpur Major Dutta’s troops reached Lala Bazar on April 6. My Charlie company under Capltain Aziz, who was launched from the eastern flank, successfully secured the southern bank of Surma by evening April 7. Dutta’s troops thereafter, joined Aziz, went across the bridge and got busy in organizing themselves into a strong force in general area Sylhet town and Khadim Nagar. The enemy build up at Shalotikar demanded an immediate action on our part. But I did not have enough troops to launch an attack on Shalotikar airport. On April 8 as I was going to visit my troops at Sylhet, I stopped at Moulvi Bazar and had a discussion with Dutta about the enemy development that were taking place a Shalotikar since April 6. We were already two days behind the schedule. We agreed that we must attack the enemy without any delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment